Date of Post: 16 Sep, 2018
Kochi: The central government has expressed willingness to provide funds for the phase-1B extension of Kochi Metro from Petta to Tripunithura. During a board meeting of the KMRL held in New Delhi on Friday, the Union urban affairs & housing ministry asked KMRL to submit the project report to provide the assistance.
- The center will pump in 15% of the total project cost.
- The board meeting was chaired by Durga Shanker Mishra, Housing & Urban Affairs secretary.
- Muhammad Hanish, MD of KMRL (Kochi Metro Rail Ltd.) said,“During the board meeting, we have received the message that the government will soon take a favourable decision in this regard.”
- “The board also gave permission to seek financial aid of Rs 1,330 crore from national or international agencies for the Tripunithura extension. With clarity on funding sources, the uncertainty that prevailed over the Tripunithura extension has been cleared.”
- For financial aid, the KMRL is planning to approach funding agencies like KfW (Germany), AFD (France) and JICA (Japan).
- After completion of Maharajas-Petta stretch, the DMRC will exit the project, and the KMRL will directly execute the phase-1B extension.
- He said,“For the phase-2 from Jawaharlal Nehru stadium to Infopark line, AFD has already offered an aid of Rs 1,500 crore.”
- While the Thykoodam-Petta stretch will be completed by December 2019, the Maharajas-Thykoodam stretch will be opened by June 2019.
- The MD said,“Foundation stone for the 2km Petta–SN junction line will be laid this December after completing the tender procedures. The DPR for 1 km line from SN Junction to Tripunithura railway station was submitted to the government in July.”
- An agency has been entrusted with preparation of the DPR for phase-3 from Aluva to Angamaly via CIAL.
To know more about recent developments of Kochi Metro-
Narinder Sharma is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and marketing executive.
His interest is in the Railways , Metro and Transportation Sector of India .
Please reach us at email@example.com for more information .