Date : 14 June, 2017
Kochi : As Prime Minister Sh. Narendra Modi will inaugurate Kochi Metro on Saturday, the Minister of Urban Development Venkaiah Naidu will launch Kochi-1, the prepaid smart card which can be used for cashless travel in the metro.
- Pre-paid facility can be used for cashless travel, and commercial transactions
- Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan will launch the app having the same name at the same venue.
- The app would be activated a few days after the launch, said Elias George, Managing Director of Kochi Metro Rail Limited (KMRL).
- The Prime Minister will travel in Kochi Metro’s Palarivattom-Pathadipalam corridor and back between 10.35 a.m. and 10.50 a.m., prior to inaugurating the system of mass rapid transport at the Jawaharlal Nehru International Stadium at Kaloor on the day.
Much Like The debit cards
- The card can be used for cashless travel in trains, and also for commercial transactions just like regular debit cards.
- The card can be purchased from metro stations by providing minimum know your customer (KYC) details like phone number and date of birth.
- Commuters can do transactions up to Rs 10,000 every month by using the card. They can do transactions of up to Rs 1 lakh per month if they submit ID proof.
- A sum of Rs 150 will be charged as issuance fee, while the first top-up will be for Rs 200. Subsequent top-ups can be done from Rs 100 and upwards.
- The metro agency would shortly open kiosks at select locations to popularise the card, sources said.
- People who do not travel frequently in the metro can purchase tickets from counters manned by Kudumbasree workers at each station.
Press Release Issued
- KMRL has issued a press release saying that the 3,500-odd invitees for the metro’s inaugural event must be seated before 10 a.m. at the stadium at Kaloor, the venue.
- They must carry their ID proofs and invitation card too.
- No personal baggages, mobile phone, water or eatables will be allowed inside the venue. Water will be available in the venue for the audience.