Date of Post : 25 July, 2017
KOCHI: The KMRL (Kochi Metro Rail Limited) launched the Hospital Road beautification works along the side of the road adjoining the Maharaja’s College.
The construction of modern walkways on both sides of the Hospital road are part of the KMRL Smart City Mission Walkway Project.
It has already received the necessary approvals to carry out the work along the side of the road which is near to the college premises, The KMRL said.
- The KMRL had taken over the land belonging to the Maharaja’s College & General Hospital for carrying out the work following government approval.
- The beautification works have been progressing along the side of the road, which remains adjacent to Ernakulam General Hospital, KMRL sources said.
- The construction of ducts on one side of the Hospital Road has been completed, sources said.
- The hospital’s utility lines, manholes & drains have been shifted.
- KMRL spokesperson said,”Now, we have to focus on shifting the Kerala State Electricity Board’s (KSEB) cables. Tenders are yet to be awarded.”
- The project work has been estimated to cost Rs 9 crore (approx US$ 1.41 Million), according to KMRL.
- The works have to be completed within 8 months of awarding the contract.
- The Hospital Road connects the Metro station at Maharaja’s College ground & the boat jetty at Park Avenue.
- The metro agency has taken up the task to provide wider footpath, green spaces & disabled-friendly walkways.
- Modern bus shelters will also be set up along the stretch.
- The spokesperson said,”The walkway project is part of our efforts to promote non-motorised transport systems. It will encourage people to walk from the Metro station to the boat jetty.”
- Streamlining of vehicular traffic and development of junctions would further help to decongest the road.
- KMRL had earlier constructed a modern walkway & undertaken beautification works on both sides of the Shihab Thangal Road.