Date of Post : 19 July, 2017
Kochi: The KMRL (Kochi Metro Rail Ltd) & the Greater Cochin Development Authority (GCDA) will sign a Mou (Memorandum of Understanding) Today to develop a boat jetty, marina & allied amenities of global standards near Marine Drive for the proposed Rs 819 crore Kochi Water Metro project.
The agreement will be signed by Konain Khan, General Manager (Operation, Maintenance and Water Transport) of KMRL & M.C. Joseph, Secretary of GCDA, in the presence of C.N. Mohanan, Chairman of GCDA and Elias George, KMRL’s Managing Director.
- The integrated jetty facility will berth modern boats that will be procured under the Water Metro project, & also tourist boats.
- This will provide safe & secure access to ferry passengers & tourists, while at the same time ensuring free movement of pedestrians on the Marine Drive walkway.
- By 2021, the 78 vessels to be procured under the Water Metro project.
- This will link the city with surrounding islands, West Kochi, & other coastal regions, becoming an extension of Kochi Metro, & also a water-based feeder service for the metro.
- The first lot of boats are likely to operate in the water corridor by the 2018-end.
- The project envisages the development of 16 routes, connecting 38 jetties across 10 islands & spans a total route network of 76-km.