Date of Post: 18 Oct, 2018
New Delhi: India’s first railway station inside a tunnel to be built in Himachal Pradesh at a height of 3,000 metres, on the strategic Bilaspur-Manali-Leh line, a senior official said. While many metro stations in the Indian cities are inside tunnels, once completed, the Keylong station in Himachal Pradesh will be the first on the railway network to be inside a tunnel.
- D R Gupta, chief engineer construction, Northern Railway, said,”The Keylong station, in the project, will be inside the tunnel according to the first phase of the location survey. This will be the first such railway station in the country. As and when the final surveys are completed, there could be many such stations on the route.”
- The station will be inside a 27-km-long tunnel.
- The line once completed will connect all important locations between Bilaspur and Leh like Sundernagar, Mandi, Manali, Keylong, Koksar, Darcha, Upshi and Karu and other towns of Himachal Pradesh and Jammu & Kashmir.
- It can facilitate in movement of goods and personnel to the frontier areas.
- The project will include 74 tunnels, 124 major bridges and 396 minor bridges, according to the phase-1 of the survey.
- Vishwesh Chaube, General Manager, Northern Railway said, once finished, the line will halve the duration taken to cover the distance between Delhi and Leh, from 40 hours to 20 hours.
- The final location survey is expected to be completed in 30 months, after which a DPR (Detailed Project Report) will be finalised.
To know more about recent developments of Railways-
16 Oct, 2018 : Indian Railways Decides to Install Black Boxes in Trains
16 Oct, 2018 : Railways to Replace Wooden Sleepers with Composite Sleepers
Deepak Kumar is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and analyst .
His focus is on new initiatives on the Railway Sector of India .
Please reach us at email@example.com for more information .