Date of Post: 29 May, 2018
The Kalkaji Mandir – Janakpuri West Magenta corridor of the Delhi Metro was formally flagged off for passenger services today by the Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Housing and Urban Affairs, Sh. Hardeep Singh Puri and the Chief Minister of Delhi, Sh. Arvind Kejriwal in the presence of DMRC’s Managing Director, Dr. Mangu Singh and other senior dignitaries.
The 24.82 kilometre long corridor is the longest stretch opened as part of Delhi Metro’s Phase 3 so far. It consists of 16 stations and will provide Metro connectivity to the national capital’s arterial Outer Ring Road. The corridor will also connect the airport’s domestic terminal with Metro services for the first time. Passenger services on this section will commence from 6 am tomorrow morning.
Speaking on the occasion, Sh. Puri said, ”Delhi Metro now has a network of 277 kilometres. By December this year, it will reach the 380 kilometre mark.”
The Chief Minister of Delhi, Sh. Arvind Kejriwal said, ”I congratulate the Delhi Metro’s engineers and the people of Delhi for the opening of this line. This line will bring more comfort for the people and will improve the traffic situation.”
The main features of this corridor are:
- Total length of Janakpuri West – Botanical Garden corridor: 37.46 kilometres
- Section opened so far: Botanical Garden – Kalkaji Mandir: 12.64 kms
- Section opened now: Janakpuri West – Kalkaji Mandir: 24.82 kms (Underground: 21.9 kms, Elevated: 2.9 kms)
- Stations: 16 (14 underground, 2 elevated)
- Names of stations: Janakpuri West, Dabri Mor, Dashrathpuri, Palam, Sadar Bazar Cantonment, Terminal 1 – IGI Airport, Shankar Vihar, Vasant Vihar, Munirka, RK Puram, Hauz Khas, IIT, Panchsheel Park, Chirag Delhi, Greater Kailash, Nehru Enclave.
- Colour Code: Magenta
- Depot: Kalindi Kunj
- Interchange Stations: Janakpuri West (With the Dwarka – NOIDA/ Vaishali Blue Line) and Hauz Khas (With the Samaypur Badli – HUDA City Centre Yellow Line).
- Total Phase 3 corridor (including extensions to NCR): 159 kms
- Section opened so far: 87 kms (Including Janakpuri West – Kalkaji Mandir)
- Sections yet to be opened: 72 kms
- Total network length now: 277 kilometres (Including Janakpuri West – Kalkaji Mandir)
- Total Interchange stations now: 19 (including Sikanderpur with Rapid Metro)
- Total Interchange stations after completion of Phase 3: 27
Source: Delhi Metro