Date of Post: 04 Aug, 2018
New Delhi: The JSPL (Jindal Steel and Power Ltd) will supply 1 lakh tonnes of Rails to Indian Railways over a period of one year. The company has bagged 20% of the Rs 2,500 crore order to supply long rails to Indian Railways which had floated a global tender for it.
- With this first order from Railways, JSPL is aiming to increase its participation in proposed railway infrastructure modernization in the upcoming years.
- It has 1 Million Tonne Per Annum (MTPA) Rail Mill at its 3.6 MTPA integrated steel plant at Raigarh, Chhattisgarh.
- The Railways had invited the global tender for procuring approx 4.87 lakh tonnes of rails to meet the supply shortfall from the state-run SAIL (Steel Authority of India Limited).
- The value of the order bagged by JSPL comes to around Rs 536 crore, sources said.
- The financial bids for the order were opened last week in which 7 foreign steel companies and JSPL from India had submitted its bids.
- JSPL was the only Indian steelmaker in the fray, and was expected to get an assured order of 20% under the ‘Make in India’ clause.
- ”It is a historic moment for the company. We were trying for long. It is a proud moment for India. We will start supplying soon,” JSPL Chairman Naveen Jindal at a conference on the steel sector.
- The company would dispatch the first consignment in August, N A Ansari, CEO, JSPL Steel Business said.
- JSPL is the only private company that produces rails in India.
- Already, JSPL has supplied Rails to national railways of Iran and Bangladesh and also to Dedicated Freight Corridor of India.
- It has capabilities to manufacture single piece rails of upto 121 metre length and upto 480 metres with three welds for higher durability of Rails.
Image Credit: JSPL
Narinder Sharma is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and marketing executive.
His interest is in the Railways , Metro and Transportation Sector of India .
Please reach us at email@example.com for more information .