Date of Post: 04 August, 2018
New Delhi: The JSPL (Jindal Steel and Power Ltd) will supply 1 lakh tonnes of Rails to Indian Railways over a period of one year. The company has bagged 20% of the Rs 2,500 crore order to supply long rails to Indian Railways which had floated a global tender for it.
- With this first order from Railways, JSPL is aiming to increase its participation in proposed railway infrastructure modernization in the upcoming years.
- It has 1 Million Tonne Per Annum (MTPA) Rail Mill at its 3.6 MTPA integrated steel plant at Raigarh, Chhattisgarh.
- The Railways had invited the global tender for procuring approx 4.87 lakh tonnes of rails to meet the supply shortfall from the state-run SAIL (Steel Authority of India Limited).
- The value of the order bagged by JSPL comes to around Rs 536 crore, sources said.
- The financial bids for the order were opened last week in which 7 foreign steel companies and JSPL from India had submitted its bids.
- JSPL was the only Indian steelmaker in the fray, and was expected to get an assured order of 20% under the ‘Make in India’ clause.
- ”It is a historic moment for the company. We were trying for long. It is a proud moment for India. We will start supplying soon,” JSPL Chairman Naveen Jindal at a conference on the steel sector.
- The company would dispatch the first consignment in August, N A Ansari, CEO, JSPL Steel Business said.
- JSPL is the only private company that produces rails in India.
- Already, JSPL has supplied Rails to national railways of Iran and Bangladesh and also to Dedicated Freight Corridor of India.
- It has capabilities to manufacture single piece rails of upto 121 metre length and upto 480 metres with three welds for higher durability of Rails.
To know more about recent developments of Railways-
02 Aug, 2018: Over 200 New Railway Line Projects Ongoing Across India
Image credit: JSPL
Narinder Sharma is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and marketing executive.
His interest is in the Railways , Metro and Transportation Sector of India.
Please reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.