Date of Post: 22 Nov, 2018
New Delhi: Jindal Steel and Power Limited (JSPL) supplied 35,000 tonnes of rails to the Indian Railways during July to October, a company official said. In July, the company had bagged 20% of Rs 2,500-crore global rail tender floated by the railways, becoming the first private player to supply rails to the national transporter.
- The order is to supply around 1 lakh tonnes of rails over a period of one year.
- N A Ansari, CEO, JSPL Steel Business, said,“As on October 31, 2018, we have supplied 35,000 tonnes or 35% of the order after RDSO (Research Design and Standards Organisation) approval. It’s only three months and we have supplied more than one-third of the order.”
- The railways had invited the global tender for procuring around 4.87 lakh tonnes of rails to meet the supply shortfall from state-run SAIL.
- In the tender invited earlier this year, 7 foreign steel companies and JSPL from India had submitted bids.
- Till now, the Indian Railways was procuring rails from government-owned SAIL.
- JSPL was the only Indian steel maker in the fray, and was expected to get an assured order of 20% under the ‘Make in India’ clause.
- JSPL is the only private company that produces rails in India.
- It was already supplying rails to various countries such as Iran and Bangladesh.
- JSPL operates the country’s most advanced 1 MTPA (Million Tonnes Per Annum) rail mill at its 3.6 MTPA integrated steel plant in Raigarh, Chhattisgarh.
- The railways had decided on an extra global tender after anticipating that SAIL would not be able to supply the 7,17,000 tonnes required for 2017-18 and 2018-19, as estimated at that time.
- The national transporter is looking at 4,000 km of track renewal in each of the next two financial years, 2018-19 and 2019-20.
- Its estimated cost for 2018-19 is a little above Rs 10,000 crore.
To know more about recent developments of Railways–
Deepak Kumar is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and analyst .
His focus is on new initiatives on the Railway Sector of India .
Please reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information