Date of Post: 08 Jan, 2019
JSPL (Jindal Steel and Power Limited) has completed over 55% of the order bagged from Indian Railways to supply nearly 1 lakh tonne rails, a top official said. In July last year, JSPL bagged 20% of the Rs 2,500 crore global tender by the Indian Railways to supply long rails.
- The order was to supply about 1 lakh tonne rails to the national transporter over a period of 1 year.
- Naushad Ansari, Joint Managing Director, JSPL said, “We have already supplied 54,302 tonne rails out of 97,400 tonnes. We expect to complete the entire order by February, several months ahead of scheduled delivery period.”
- Minister of State for Steel, Vishnu Deo Sai had informed Parliament on Monday that the Railways has indicated a demand of around 14 lakh tonne during 2018- 19 and 17 lakh ton in 2019-20.
- Ansari said, “We are well-equipped; and look forward to serve the Railways.”
- In India, only two steel companies manufacture rails:
- Steel Authority of India Ltd (SAIL) at its Bhilai Steel Plant.
- Naveen Jindal-led Jindal Steel and Power Ltd (JSPL) at its Raigarh Plant.
- SAIL was the only supplier of rails to the Indian Railways until JSPL bagged an order in July last year.
- Railways is looking at 4,000 kilometer of track renewal in financial years 2018-19 and 2019-20 each.
To know more about recent developments of Railways –
Narinder Sharma is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and marketing executive.
His interest is in the Railways , Metro and Transportation Sector of India .
Please reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information .