Date Of Post: 13 Dec, 2018
The 110km long Jiribam-Tupul-Imphal new broad gauge line project in Manipur is expected to be completed by 2020. At present, rigorous work is underway to link Imphal with Jiribam via Tupul. As a part of this project, Northeast Frontier Railway (NFR) is constructing the world’s tallest railway bridge in Manipur at 141 metres surpassing the existing record of 139 metre Mala-Rijeka viaduct, at Montenegro in Europe.
- S K Ojah, Senior Public Relations Officer, NFR said in a statement,”The bridge is being constructed across the valley of river Ijai near Noney with a pier height of 141 metre. It will surpass the existing record of 139 metre of Mala-Rijeka viaduct, Montenegro in Europe.”
- Ojah said,”The total length of the bridge will be 703 metre. The piers of the bridge are constructed using hydraulic augers. The tall piers needed specially designed ‘slip-form technique’ to ensure efficient and continual construction.”
- This new line will connect Imphal with broad gauge network of the country.
- Gautam Singh, Deputy Chief Engineer, Imphal, NF Railway said,”Railway work is happening for the first time in Manipur and through Jiribam it will be connected to Imphal and it will be around 110 km long railway line.”
- He said,”When the railway will come in the region, the culture of the area will change and trade will also change. Presently, materials are coming via road that will come through rail soon. Overall it will economise the trade in Manipur and everything will be cheaper.”
- The new railway line will now cut down cost and time in traveling, thus making it more convenient for all.
- The railway line passes through several tunnels and will also have a number of bridges owing to the hilly terrain that it has to cover to reach the Imphal valley.
- Keeping in mind the safety measures, the project work is under surveillance of drone cameras, CCTVs, and remote monitoring.
- The completion of this railway line is expected to boost tourism as well as shore up trade relation between India and the ASEAN countries.
To know more about recent developments of Railways–
Narinder Sharma is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and marketing executive.
His interest is in the Railways , Metro and Transportation Sector of India .
Please reach us at email@example.com for more information