KOCHI: The Jawaharlal Nehru International (JNI) Stadium at Kaloor here has been chosen the venue for the gala function marking the launch of KMRL (Kochi Metro Rail Limited) phase-I on June 17.
PM Narendra Modi will dedicate the project to the nation in the presence of Union Minister Venkaiah Naidu & Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan.
* The nod for the JNI Stadium as the venue for the inaugural ceremony came on Friday after a Special Protection Group (SPG) team headed by Aneesh Sirohi, Assistant Inspector General (AIG), scoured the venues shortlisted for the purpose.
* The SPG team visited the JNI Stadium premises which was listed as the 3rd potential venue.
* A KMRL official said,“They expressed satisfaction at the facilities & ratified it as the venue. The fact it is close to Palarivattom Station – the last stop of phase I – also worked in its favour.”
* The schedule for the inauguration will be finalised & announced by PMO later.
* Also, the KMRL authorities have requested the PM to undertake a ride on the Kochi Metro after the inauguration.
* The conformation in this regard is yet to come.
* Also, the SPG team met KMRL, MD, Elias George at the KMRL office soon after undertaking the inspection.
* Earlier, the SPG team was accompanied by City Police(CP) Commissioner M P Dinesh, DCP Yatish Chandra, Intelligence Bureau(IB) Assistant Director Radhakrishnan, Rural SP A V George & KMRL project director Thiruman Archunan.