Date of Post: 15 oct, 2018
Japanese consultants will join hands with Indian architects to develop the 12 proposed bullet train stations and its adjoining areas in an integrated way on the Mumbai-Ahmedabad high speed train route. The 12 proposed stations are: Bandra Kurla Complex, Thane, Virar, Boisar, Vapi, Bilimora, Surat, Bharuch, Baroda, Anand, Sabarmati and Ahmedabad.
- A senior Railways official said,”In a meeting with senior officials of MMRDA and Gujarat`s Urban Development and Municipal Commissioners, it was decided to take the help of Japanese experts in developing the areas around the stations – connecting them to bus, metro and other forms of transportation”.
- Railways will adopt a “Transit-oriented development plan” for all these stations so that each becomes a commercial hub ensuring smooth connectivity with the outside world.
- In urban planning, transit-oriented development is a type of urban development that maximises the amount of residential, business and leisure space within walking distance of public transport.
- The Railways official added,”There will be scope of constructing housing complexes near some stations as per the plan.”
- The terminal building, which will have space for commercial activities like eateries, forex counters, malls and parking lots, will also be a major interchange hub, providing passengers seamless connectivity between the bullet train network and other services such as the metro and bus services, as well as last-mile connectivity.
- The bullet trains are expected to run at 350 kmph covering the 508 km stretch in about 2 hours.
- The cost of the ambitious project is estimated to be Rs 1,10,000 crore and Japan is providing a soft loan worth Rs 88,000 crore at 0.1%.
- The 508-km long high speed train corridor between Mumbai and Ahmedabad is expected to be operational by August 2022.
To know more about recent developments of High Speed Rail-
Deepak Kumar is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and analyst .
His focus is on new initiatives on the Railway Sector of India .
Please reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information .