Date of Post : 24 July, 2017
IRCTC (Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation plans to install 1100 water vending machines at 450 stations in 2017-18 to provide clean drinking water at low cost at railway stations across the country.
Further Information About the Water Vending Machines:
- The Water vending machine will dispense a glass of 300 ml water at a time at a cost of just Rs 1.
- The railway ministry said these water vending machines (WVMs) will provide clean drinking water at low cost, and that the initiative will help in generating employment for around 2,000 people.
- There are 1,106 WVMs at 345 stations in the country at present, the ministry said.
- Water is dispensed through the provision of Reverse Osmosis (RO) in these machines.
- The WVMs are operated round-the-clock either manually or via automatic mode.
- The water dispensed through these machines will be much cheaper than bottled mineral water, the ministry said.
- A litre of water will be available Rs 5, two litres for Rs 8 and a can for Rs 20 from these machines.