Date of Post: 21 Nov, 2018
New Delhi: Train 18 – the country’s first indigenously developed semi-high speed train – is likely to start operating by December 15, a senior railway ministry official said. Currently, the train is undergoing trials in Moradabad. The official said,”Train 18 will run at a maximum speed of 160 kmph between either Delhi and Varanasi or Delhi and Bhopal.”
- “Train 18’”, developed by the ICF (Integral Coach Factory), Chennai and seen as a successor to the prestigious 30-year-old Shatabdi Express, was flagged off by Railway Board chairman Ashwani Lohani on October 29.
- The official said,”We have successfully achieved a speed of 120 kmph during trials. We will achieve a speed of 160 kmph and run the train likely by December 15.”
- The gleaming, blue-nosed train has a cone-shaped frontage, similar to a bullet train.
- It comes fitted with amenities on par with the best in the world — from on-board WiFi to GPS-based passenger information system, ‘touch-free’ bio-vacuum toilets, LED lighting, mobile charging points, and a climate control system that would adjust the temperature according to occupancy and weather.
- “Train 18” comprised of as many as 16 coaches including the driving coach with around 44 seats and 78 seats installed in trailer coaches.
- Moreover, CCTV cameras on both the sides of driving cab have been installed in order to help the driver to monitor the movement of passengers on the platform before closing the doors and hitting the tracks.
- The 16-coach train, driven by a self-propulsion module, can run at a speed of up to 160 kmph and comes with technical features for enhanced quick acceleration.
- The indigenously developed ‘Train 18’ is built at a cost of Rs 100 crore in the span of 18 months.
- It is the first long-distance train without a separate locomotive or engine.
To know more about recent developments of Railways–
Deepak Kumar is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and analyst .
His focus is on new initiatives on the Railway Sector of India .
Please reach us at email@example.com for more information