Date of Post: 22 Oct, 2018
New Delhi: India’s first engineless train, code-named Train 18, will soon replace the existing Shatabdi Express on Delhi-Bhopal route. The Train-18 will run at a speed of 160 kmph. The existing Shatabdi train from Delhi-Bhopal takes about 8 hours. Train 18 would cut that by 3 hours, making the distance a total of 5 hours only.
Image Credit: ICF, Chennai
- The Train 18, which is built by Integral Coach Factory (ICF), Chennai, would promote “Make in India”.
- The ICF will make 6 such train sets, out of which 2 will have sleeper coaches.
- The Train 18 will be launched by the end October.
- The cost of manufacturing Train 18 is around Rs 6 crores.
- This is 60% cheaper than the global cost of similar trains.
- Upon successful implementation of Train 18, the IFC will start working on ‘Train 20’ which will have an all aluminum body.
- Aluminum will make the train more aesthetic, lightweight, energy efficient, and durable.
To know more about recent developments of Railways-
Deepak Kumar is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and analyst .
His focus is on new initiatives on the Railway Sector of India .
Please reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information .