Date Of Post: 22 Dec, 2017
New Delhi: India’s first indigenous train set will be ready & running on the tracks by December next year, a senior railway board member said.
The train set, which is much like the metro trains running in Delhi, but built on a much higher scale, will run at a speed of 160 kmph. Unlike the metro trains, the 16-coach train set will be able to cover long distances.
- A train set, much like a Delhi Metro rake, comprises of many coaches that are individually powered by a propulsion system, eliminating the need for a locomotive.
- Ravindra Gupta, member of the Railway Board, said,”This will be Indias first indigenous train set and will be rolled out on the tracks by December 2018.”
- The advantages of train sets are that they will be more comfortable, will have faster turnaround as well as faster speed thus reaching their destination quicker than the average trains, Gupta said.
More About The Train Sets-
- For the first time in railways, these train sets will have automatic doors that will open & close at stations, wide windows, and ergonomically designed seating.
- All the coaches will be equipped with bio-toilets.
- It will be completely air-conditioned.
- The first train set is likely to be pushed into service either in the Delhi-Lucknow or Delhi-Chandigarh sector.
Image Credit: Indian Railways