Date of Post : 15 July, 2017
New Delhi: On Friday, Indian Railways launched its first 1600 HHP solar DEMU train. It is one of the environmental friendly measures taken by the railways which will also have financial benefits.
More to Know About The First 1600 HHP Solar DEMU Train :
- Operations Start : From Saturday
- Sitting Capacity : 89 people per coach.
- No. of Coaches : 10
- Total cost of the Train : Rs 13.54 crore
- The train will travel from Sarai Rohilla station in Delhi to Garhi Harsaru Junction, Farukh Nagar in Haryana.
- The train will replace the existing non-solar powered panel on the same route and run at the speed of 110 kmph.
- There has been no change in the fare and the journey will take nearly one-and-half hours.
- To make the journey comfortable the seats have been provided with cushions
- There are rakes for luggage and a display board in each coach.
Coaches Specification :
- The train consists of 2 motor coaches and 8 passenger coaches
- Cost of Passenger Coaches : Rs 1 crore each
- Cost of Motor Coaches : Rs 2.5 crore each
- Cost of Solar Panels on 6 coaches : Rs 9 lakh each
- There are 16 solar panels of 300 watt capacity each in a coach.
- The energy generated through the panel will be stored in batteries and can be used during night as well.
- The two passenger coaches which do not have solar panel will operate on diesel.
- The train has two parallel power sources solar power and diesel and in case of failure of the former, it will switch on to the latter.
- The train is built at Integral Coach Factory in Chennai
Savings & Benefits of the First 1600 HHP Solar DEMU Train :
- This initiative will save diesel equivalent of Rs 2 lakh per coach per annum.
- It will result in reduction in 9 tonnes of carbon dioxide emission per coach per annum.
- Around Rs 672 crore will be saved per annum.