Date of Post: 29 Oct, 2018
The Railways is planning to use aircraft-like pressurised coaches in its trains for the Bilaspur-Manali-Leh line, which will be the world’s highest railway track, so that passengers do not have breathing difficulties on board.
The 465-km line to be built at a cost of Rs 83,360 crore, at a height of 5,360 metres above the sea level, will see Indian Railways’ first pressurised coaches which are currently used only in the Quinghay-Tibet Railway Line in China.
- DR Gupta, Chief Engineer (Construction) of Northern Railway said,“Special pressurised rolling stock to deal with lack of oxygen will have to be used in these trains as passengers might feel uneasy because of the high altitude. These will be like the pressurised cabins used by aircraft to maintain the oxygen levels inside.”
- In the Tibet train, two kinds of systems are used to maintain oxygen levels – one is through the main controls which maintains standard oxygen levels and gets switched on at high altitude areas and the other is through oxygen ports equipped for each passenger to use when they feel that they lack oxygen, Gupta explained.
- It is, however, not cleared whether these coaches will be produced in India or they will be procured from outside.
- An official said that the ICF (Integral Coach Factory) which is in expansion mode is already pepping up to produce both metro coaches as well as coaches for the Mumbai-Ahmedabad bullet train and could be roped in to make coaches for the Bilaspur-Manali-Leh line as well.
- This line after completion will connect important locations between Bilaspur and Leh like Sundernagar, Mandi, Manali, Keylong, Koksar, Darcha, Upshi and Karu and other important towns of Himachal Pradesh and Jammu & Kashmir.
- According to the phase-1 of the location survey, this project includes 74 tunnels, 124 major bridges and 396 minor bridges.
- Final location survey for this project is currently on process.
To know more about recent developments of Railways-
Deepak Kumar is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and analyst .
His focus is on new initiatives on the Railway Sector of India .
Please reach us at email@example.com for more information