Date of Post: 26 Dec, 2017
Chennai: In a first, the Indian Railways will soon roll out 15 aluminium-bodied trainsets called Train-20 — on its prestigious Rajdhani routes that will run faster & boast of improved passenger comforts. The aluminium trainsets or trains like the Metro or EMUs will not only be lightweight & energy-efficient, they will run at 160 kmph.
Global Tender For Aluminium Trainsets-
- The aluminium trainsets, estimated to cost Rs 2,500 crore, will start rolling out of the Railways’ Integrated Coach Factory (ICF) near Chennai by 2020.
- A senior ICF official, told IANS,“A global tender has been floated inviting bids from leading international coach manufacturers for design, development, manufacturing, testing and commissioning of aluminium car body trainsets. Bids are expected to be opened next year for necessary action.”
- ICF expects leading global coach manufacturers to participate in the tender as, apart from the approximately 291 coaches on offer at present, the scope is so defined that the successful bidder will build a long-term relationship with the production unit.
- In coming years, Indian Railways will, need a large number of trainsets beyond those tendered for, and the successful bidder will likely be an active partner in the expansion of modern rolling stock of the state-run transporter.
The Train-18 programme-
- At present, the ICF is executing the manufacture of 16 trainsets designed by in-house talent under its Train-18 programme.
- The first trainset under the Train-18 plan is expected to roll out by May next year.
- The Train-18 coaches are of stainless steel & meant to run on intra-day, inter-city Shatabdi routes, While Train-20 coaches will be of aluminium & aimed at the day-night Rajdhani service.
Image Credit: Hpcos – Wikimedia Commons