Date of post: 17 July, 2018
Nagpur: Indian Railways signed an agreement with the Maharashtra Metro Rail Corporation (MahaMetro) for introducing a Mass Rapid Transit System (MRTS) in the city.
Under the MoU, the Railways and MahaMetro would work towards linking railway line to metro coaches on broad gauge network and creating a MRTS in Nagpur.
- The MoU signing ceremony held in Nagpur Municipal Corporation’s Suresh Bhat Auditorium was witnessed by Union Minister of Railways, Finance, Corporate Affairs, and Coal, Piyush Goyal, Union Minister of Road Transport, Highways and Water Resources, Nitin Gadkari and Chief Minister of Maharashtra, Devendra Fadnavis.
- Chairman Railway Board Shri Ashwani Lohani and Secretary, Ministry of Urban Development Shri Mishra were also present on this occasion.
- Addressing the gathering, Gadkari urged people to use public transport instead of private transport.
- He said,”The speed of air conditioned metro coaches running on broad gauge line of railway will be 100 km per hour which is much more than ordinary passenger trains. This MoU will pave the way for towns like Bhandara, Wardha distant from Nagpur to come closer and develop into satellite cities.”
- For passengers who pay Rs 90 for bus fare of Nagpur-Wardha train and spend around 90 minutes of journey time, the same journey will be covered by metro coach in just 35 minutes with fare of only Rs 60, Gadkari further said.
Narinder Sharma is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and marketing executive.
His interest is in the Railways , Metro and Transportation Sector of India.
Please reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.