Date Of Post: 05 May, 2018
New Delhi: Indian Railways has set a new target of April 2020 for commissioning of the 3,342-km Dedicated Freight Corridor (DFC) along its trunk routes. The ambitious Rs 814 billion project had got the Union Cabinet’s green signal way back in 2006. The project, comprising the Eastern & Western corridors, aims to speed up the movement of freight while easing the congested routes for passenger traffic.
- “Both the corridors are to be commissioned by April 2020 as most of the problems are now being resolved,” a senior Railway Ministry official involved with the project said.
- However,”Now the land acquisition is almost complete and significant contracts related to civil and electrical works and signalling have been awarded, resulting in the works being speeded up,” the official said.
- Since the progress of the project is now being closely monitored by the Prime Minister’s Office, the Dedicated Freight Corridor Corporation of India Limited (DFCCIL) has finalised a series of target dates for partial commissioning of the corridors in limited sections.
- The 1,502 km Western Dedicated Freight Corridor from Dadri (Uttar Pradesh) to Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust (Navi Mumbai) passes through Haryana, Rajasthan, Gujarat and Maharashtra.
- For the Western DFC, the target of commissioning
- Rewari-Marwar section (432 km) is February 2019
- Marwar-Palanpur section (207 km) is September 2019
- Palanpur-Makarpur section (308 km), the Makarpura-Vaitran section (313 km) and the Rewari-Dadri section (127 km) is March 2020
- The 1,840km Eastern Dedicated Freight Corridor from Ludhiana to Dankuni near Kolkata traverses Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Jharkhand and West Bengal.
- For the Eastern DFC, the new targets are
- Khujra-Bhaupur section (343 km) by November 2018
- Bhaupur-Mughalsarai section (402 km) by August 2019
- Sonnagar-Mughalsarai section (126 km) by October 2019
- Khurja-Dadri section (46 km) by December 2019
- Pilkhani-Sahnewal section (179 km) by March 2020
The official said,”Steps are being taken to make operational part of the Western corridor and a part of the Eastern corridor by November this year.”
Image Credit: DFCCIL