Date of Post: 05 Oct, 2018
New Delhi: Railways has plans to develop 640 Utkrisht rakes as part of upgradation of its Mail/Express trains in the next 2 years at a cost of Rs 400 crore, a senior official said. First lot of Utkrisht rakes rolled out as Kalka Mail from Howrah station on October 2.
The first ever Utkrisht Rake in Indian Railways run as 12311 Up Kalka Mail leaving Howrah station this evening. pic.twitter.com/xcj8mz8vuW
— Eastern Railway (@EasternRailway) October 2, 2018
Developed as ‘green rakes’ (consisting of 20 or 22 coaches) at Eastern Railways’ Liluah workshop, they cost Rs 60 lakh each.
- Member Rolling Stock, Railway Board, Rajesh Agarwal said,”Our aim to develop 140 rakes by March 2019 after which we are planning to roll out 500 more by March 2020. The rakes will provide better facilities to passengers, including LED lightings, odourless toilets.”
- The rakes have also been given a new colour scheme on the exterior – beige and maroon.
- All coaches of this rake are fitted with
- Energy efficient LED tube lights
- Panel of LED lights in doorway and gangway
- Provision of dustbins in the toilets
- Stickers with ‘Go Green’ messages
- Provision of integrated basin-cum-dustbins in AC coaches
- Moreover, the toilets of all the coaches have improved fittings, vinyl wrapping provided at the doorways of the coaches, night glow stickers and Braille signages inside the coaches and new colour scheme.
- The unique feature of this Utkrisht Rake is the provision of Swachh Rail Toilet (SRT), which is a hybrid design of bio-toilet system.
- Toilet has the advantages of less water consumption, no choking of the system, complete sealing of odour and maintenance friendly.
Deepak Kumar is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and analyst .
His focus is on new initiatives on the Railway Sector of India .
Please reach us at email@example.com for more information .