Date Of Post: 23 Mar, 2018
New Delhi: The Railways came out with a list of 68 stations, which would be given a facelift through its own resources within a time-bound period. The redevelopment will be closely monitored by the General Managers of the respective zones and the divisional railway manager (DRMs).
- Ashwani Lohani, Chairman Railway Board had suggested that the redevelopment should come with a visible change on the station premises without unnecessary construction all over.
- The Old Delhi station and some of the busiest stations in the country, including Howrah, Patna, Allahabad, Vijayawada, Chennai Egmore & Mughalsarai, are among the 68 stations which would be taken up for an overhaul.
- The DRMs are expected to submit a master plan to the Railway Board by March 31 for the redevelopment of the station.
- The board is expected to engage officials to closely monitor the redevelopment plan along with the DRMs.
- The development comes as the Railways is yet to give a final shape to the redevelopment of the 600 stations as spelled out in the Union Budget this year.
- The Railway Ministry is expected to approach the Cabinet with a policy proposal.