Date of Post: 07 Sep, 2018
New Delhi: Railways has taken Wi-Fi to 710 railway stations, Railway Minister Piyush Goyal said, while claiming that it is the best in the country in terms of speed. Addressing a seminar on leveraging IT (Information Technology) for mobility in Delhi on Thursday, Goyal also highlighted the exponential growth in paperless ticketing.
Paperless Unreserved Tickets have moved up from 195 in 2014-15 to 67,000 last year that is a 35,000% increase over a period of 3 years, he said.
- While discussing how technology can improve both passenger experience and freight transport, he said, “GPS is a tried and tested method. It will help us completely eliminate the fudging of data on train movement and help us track the 22,000 trains, both passenger and freight, on a real-time basis.”
- “In railways, there are 444,000 tenders. The multiplicity of tenders will lead to cost inefficiency. Hence, the clubbing of items and data mining could help reduce procurement inefficiency. 150 thousand crores of procurement is truly quite a large procurement and if we can look at an initial saving of 15-20% that in my standard is the least that we can save,” he added.
- He further urged the youngsters in the railways’ team to engage with new ideas and said, “I am sure we will get some game-changing results, which will truly help better the passenger and freight customer experience as well as to make it sustainable and satisfying.”
- Talking about transformations in Railways, Goyal said, “There are so many new transformations that the railways are working on related to the tracks, safety, signalling, catering, punctuality, and modernizing our inspection processes which will make them more efficient and clinically sound.”
- The minister also acknowledged the efforts of his team in increasing the efficiency of the Indian Railways and commended them for their efforts.
- “I don’t know any other department which collects data the way railways does, but how efficiently and effectively we use that data is the defining success story that we are looking for. And this is surely possible with the high-quality team that we have in railways,” Goyal said.
- Emphasising the significance of technology for the Indian Railways, Goyal termed ‘Technology’ as the defining factor that will help Indian railways change both its direction and its face.
To know more about recent developments of Indian Railways-
06 Sep, 2018 : Upgraded DEMU Train Flagged Off Between Karwar and Pernem
Deepak Kumar is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and analyst .
His focus is on new initiatives on the Railway Sector of India .
Please reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information .