Date of Post : 03 July, 2017
Coimbatore: Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu said, Indian Railways (IR) is in the process of developing a Southern Freight Corridor (SFC), which would be connected to one of 3 corridors.
Prabhu said, the 3 Dedicated Freight Corridors (DFC) planned by Railways will provide logistics support to the ‘Make in India’ campaign & one of the corridors will be connected with the Southern corridor for the benefit of smooth movement of freight from Southern states.
- He said,”The southern states will significantly benefit from the DFC as it will be connected to southern part of the country.”
- “We will have to develop a huge backbone of infrastructure for the logistics, if Make in India has to succeed,” Prabhu said.
- 10 products were the mainstay of Railway’s income and 2-third of the revenue came from the freight, he said.
- The Railways has operated additional freight trains to lift onions from Maharashtra to help the farmers, Prabhu said.
- On GST implementation, he said “It is good for economy.”