Date of Post: 16 Dec, 2017
New Delhi: Indian Railways has prepared an action plan to electrify 38,000 km route in 5 years from 2017-18, the ministry informed the Rajya Sabha. The pace of electrification has been increased to achieve 100% electrification of broad gauge (BG) rail routes, Minister of State for Railways Rajen Gohain said, in a written reply to a question.
Electrification Of Rail Tracks:
- At present, only 42% of total track network is electrified & the rest is operating on fossil fuel.
- In 2017-2018 the national transporter has set a target of electrifying 4,000 km route, while in the next fiscal the target is to electrify 6,000 km route, the minister said.
- In 2019-2020, 7000 km rail route will be electrified, while in 2020-2021 and the next year, the target is of 10,500 km route each.
- The MoS said,”To achieve 100% electrification of Broad Gauge (BG) rail routes, pace of electrification has been increased from present average of 1,700 route kilometer per annum to 4,000 route kilometer/annum which will further be increased to 6,000 route kilometers in 2018-19.”
- Officials said, with electrification of major rail routes, the energy bill is likely to come down by Rs 10,000 crore.
Image Credit: Macquarie Group