Date Of Post: 02 Feb, 2018
New Delhi: Indian Railways’ all new 12,000 hp electric locomotive would be rolled out in March, when French President Emmanuel Macron visits India, Railway Ministry sources said. The assembly of the first 12,000 hp locomotive at Alstom’s Madhepura plant in Bihar is complete and its trials are on, according to the sources.
- The source said,”The all new engine would be rolled out in March this year, when Macron will visit India to participate in the International Solar Alliance meeting.”
- Prime Minister Modi, during his visit last week to Davos for the World Economic Forum, announced that the French President would be participating in the International Solar Alliance meeting in March.
About The New Locomotive-
- Also, the new WAG 12 electric locomotive would be used to haul freight trains, the official said.
- The first body shell of the twin-section electric locomotive from Alstom’s factory in France arrived in India last September.
- Alstom Vice President Sales and Business Development (Asia Pacific) Bharat Salhotra said,”The WAG 12 will enable Indian Railways to have a fleet of locomotives equipped with state of the art propulsion technology.”
- Salhotra said,”Induction of 12,000 HP locomotives will be a transformational step as it will allow Indian Railways to run heavy haul and long haul trains over the Dedicated Freight Corridor.”
- Indian Railways will manufacture 800 such electric locomotives over the next 11 years in a joint venture with the Alstom at the Madhepura locomotive factory, according to the Railway Ministry.
- The increase in speed would result in improving line capacity in the rail network, the Railway official said.
- The official said,”It will help in speeding up movement of goods trains by increasing the current average speed of the freight trains from 60 kmph to 100 kmph.”
- Salhotra said,”These high horsepower electric locomotives are being built in compliance with the Indian standards of freight transport and are designed for the tough Indian climatic conditions.”
- He said,”The significant jump in the operating parameters will also allow for faster, safer and more reliable freight movement across the country, thereby reducing congestion for passenger train services and freight services, as also reduce the logistics cost of rail transportation.”
Image Credit: Alstom India