New Delhi: Indian Railways may soon run with Smart Locomotives. They will have technology that will give them a sense of their health and also the track they are moving on.
More Information About the Smart Locomotives:
- At least, dozen such engines are in production in Varanasi under the pilot project.
- From July, this system will be employed in other engines as well.
- The Railway Ministry has decided to install Video and Voice Recording And Monitoring System (SLVR) in engines.
- Video cameras, microphone, and video recorder will be applied in engine’s cabins. This is being done to minimise driver’s error of judgement.
- Remote Monitoring and Management of Locomotives and Trains (REMMLOT) system will also be installed.
- It works on two technologies. It will have two sim cards which will be connected with the central server of the railways. The real-time data of time and location will be monitored through this system.
- These two safety features will be in addition to a SONAR system.
- This system will detect fracture in rails and will apply automatic breaks.
- Safety has been Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu’s primary concern.
- He has time and again said that modern techniques will be used to ensure no accident takes place.