Date of post: 17 Jan, 2019
Railways has linked its locomotives via ISRO (Indian Space Research Organisation) satellites, making it easy to track trains and automatically feed the control charts around the trains arrival and departure, officials said. A senior railway official said,”The train movement information is acquired and fed to the control charts using ISRO satellite-based RTIS (Real-Time Train Information System) automatically.”
- Recently, the system was implemented, on some of the mail/express trains on the Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Katra-Bandra Terminus, Delhi-Jammu, New Delhi-Patna, and New Delhi-Amritsar routes.
- The new system will help railways to modernise its control room, railway network for more efficient train movement across its network.
- “The move is aimed at further improving the accuracy of train-running information,” the official said.
- The device installed in the locomotive detects position and speed of the train using GAGAN geo-positioning system, developed by ISRO, he said.
- The official said, “Based on this information and application logic, the device sends the train movement updates (arrival/departure/run through/unscheduled stoppages and mid-section updates) to central location server in the CRIS data centre
- using S-band MSS (Mobile Satellite Service) of ISRO.”
- After processing in the CLS, this information is relayed to COA (Control Office Application) system for automatic plotting of control charts without any manual intervention in the divisions.
- Earlier, the train running status used to be updated manually.
- The official said, “Before this techniques was developed by the CRIS (Centre for Railway Information System) in collaboration with ISRO, the divisional controls setup for the purpose of train movement control were dependent on the information relayed by the station master to the station controller and the data was fed in the control chart by the section controller manually.”
- The official said the COA is being already integrated with National Train Enquiry System (NTES).
To know more about recent developments of Railways –
( Please reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. )