Date of Post: 04 June, 2018
New Delhi: Indian Railways has joined hands with the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways to twin a rail line along the proposed expressway between Mumbai and Nagpur. Both arms of the government will work together to put the project on the fast track with the aim of drastically cutting travel time on the busy route.
- A senior Railway Ministry official,”Spanish consultant Ineco has conducted a feasibility study on constructing a high-speed rail line along the proposed Mumbai-Nagpur Expressway and the reports are positive.”
- He added, Ministry of Road Transport and Highways, which is already acquiring land for the proposed expressway, will keep the rail project in mind.
About the Project-
- According to a feasibility report, the elevated rail line could be built in the middle or along the proposed 800 km expressway depending on the ground situation.
- Twin tunnels & bridges can also be constructed to cross rivers and negotiate hilly areas in a coordinated way for road & rail traffic, the official said.
- While the feasibility report is being examined by the Railways officials concerned, the Spanish team is set to make a detailed presentation, including on the financial aspect, to the public transporter shortly to take the ambitious project further.
- The oficial said,”It`s a new way of executing the project faster, as the combined efforts to acquire land will ease a major burden for both ministries and pave the way for speedy execution.”
- The Mumbai-Nagpur section is part of the proposed high speed rail corridor between Howrah and Mumbai, the diamond quadrilateral rail project.
Deepak Kumar is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and analyst .
His focus is on new initiatives on the Railway Sector of India .
Please reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information .