Date Of Post: 25 Jan, 2018
Guwahati: The Railways will invest nearly Rs 48,000 crore to boost infrastructure in the northeast region, Ashwani Lohani Chairman Railway Board, said, on Wednesday.
Lohani was in the city to review the projects under the Northeast Frontier Railway (NFR). They are pumping in funds to complete several ongoing projects at the earliest for better connectivity, he added.
- Lohani said,”The Railways is expediting electrification work and doubling of tracks in the northeast.”
- The Railways will manufacture modern coaches from April this year which will make train convenient journey more convenient for passengers, he added.
- NFR general manager Chahatey Ram, speaking on the ongoing final location survey for laying of tracks to strategically located Tawang in Arunachal Pradesh, said the study to connect the town close to the Indo-China border will be completed in the next 2 years.
- After completing the survey, it will be sent to the Union cabinet for approval, he added.
- Tracks up to Imphal will come up by 2020, he said.
- The railways has acquired land stretching up to 17 km for train connectivity to Kohima in Nagaland, he said.
- The remaining work for the Bogibeel Bridge would be completed by June this year, he informed.
- Doubling of tracks in Assam has been sanctioned up to Lumding via Goalpara and the NFR is working to complete the task by 2020, he added.
Image Credit: Northeast Frontier Railway