Date of Post: 10 July, 2018
In order to capture the lost traffic through new delivery model for domestic cargo, the Railways has introduced Double Stack Dwarf Container Services, the railway ministry said.
The Container is 6 ft 4 inches in height and can run on electrified tracks. They enable the railways in double-stack movement of cargo and have increased the ministry’s revenue.
- This freight train was flagged off on July 7 from Western Railway’s Rajkot railway station on its maiden commercial run.
- The train was booked from Reliance Rail Siding at Kanalus to Rewari in Haryana and was loaded with 82 containers carrying polypropylene granules, the ministry in a statement said.
- The ministry said,”Due to this double stacked dwarf container service, Indian Railways has received increased revenue of Rs 18.50 lakh.”
- By using the dwarf containers, the cost will be significantly reduced since rail transport is cheaper than road, the ministry said.
- Currently low-density products such as plastic granules, PVC polyester fabric, white goods, FMCG products, polyethylene and auto cars are being transported mostly by road, but due to low cost of transportation in dwarf containers, the railways now offers a “viable transport”.
- The ministry said, at the general freight rate, the double-stack dwarf container trains can generate more than 50% of the revenue.
Image Credit: Western Railway
Narinder Sharma is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and marketing executive.
His interest is in the Railways , Metro and Transportation Sector of India .
Please reach us at email@example.com for more information .