Date of Post: 14 July, 2018
New Delhi: The Railways is installing plastic bottle crushing machines at 2,000 stations across the country. The installation of crushers is a step is to prevent travellers from throwing used plastic bottles on the tracks or in the station premises. The crusher machines would be installed at platforms and at exit points so that passengers who want to discard their plastic bottles can deposit them in the flaking machine.
- Depending on the volume of plastic bottles deposited the machine automatically starts & stops.
- The inserted bottles disintegrate into fine pieces of plastic which is then released from a different outlet.
- The plastic pieces will be given to the plastic manufacturers, thus saving the landfills from additional plastic pollutants.
- A senior railway official said, all 16 zones and 70 divisons have been instructed to install the plastic bottle crushing machines at 2,000 stations in the first phase.
- At present. empty plastic bottles are disposed off manually.
- The railways has given RITES the responsibility of providing project management consultancy for selecting the agencies for installing & maintaining the crushers.
- While smaller stations will be covered under corporate social responsibility spends, the rest of will be done through competitive bidding.
- Successful bidders will have a 8-year contract to ensure viability and upgrade technology from time to time.