Date of Post: 23 Oct, 2017
New Delhi: The Ministry of Railway has decided to give more powers to its two nodal bodies to redevelop stations & its land, a senior official said.
The official said, the two bodies – RLDA (Railway Land Development Authority), & IRSDC (Indian Railways Station Development Corporation) – are set to get powers to deal with all big decisions on the commercial use of railway land & developing stations.
A High-Powered Committee Formed
- The ministry has also formed a high-powered committee which will give recommendations on ways to further strengthen the bodies which will, in turn, speed up the execution of projects.
- Railway Board chairman, Ashwani Lohani said,”The issue of exploiting railway land for commercial use is being looked into afresh and the organisation handling this subject – RLDA – is being further strengthened and empowered to take care of this work effectively, especially big land parcels.”
- Lohani said,”Similarly, in the case of Station Redevelopment Program (SRP), we have decided to expedite their operations by strengthening the IRSDC further.”
- The decisions have been taken based on directions issued by Railway Minister Piyush Goyal.
Steps Taken In The Meeting
- An official said, the minister has made it clear, in his meetings with the members of the board, that no department can work in silos & strengthening existing bodies & empowering them should be the goal to deliver work faster.
- The committee’s plan, will be the blueprint for other such bodies, the official said.
- The official said,”So, now, all the land-related projects will be handled by one department – RLDA — and all station-related decisions will be taken by the IRSDC. Basically, there will be clarity in the processes involved.”
- This will expedite processes as files will move faster within the departments, the official added.
‘One ICT’ plan
- Similarly, the ‘One ICT’ (Information, Communication, & Technology) plan is working as a core group within the IT Directorate & not as a separate body.
- The official said,”Now, it will be part of the bigger IT directorate which works on all IT infrastructure-related activities of the national transporter.”
- The ‘One ICT’ was created to set up an integrated software that would bring various functions of the railways passenger reservation, movement of goods trains, asset management and other functional requirements of the national transporter under one roof.
Strengthening & Empowerment Of Field Offices
- Lohani said,”The minister’s focus is on strengthening and empowerment of field offices and field functionaries through delegation of powers, simplification of processes, total clarity on the implementation strategy.. These steps to bring related aspects of operations under one nodal body is a step in that direction.”
- Goyal has told the officials that streamlining file movement & communication between different departments would ensure that safety projects are completed in time.
- The official said,”The minister has motivated railway employees to adapt new work culture and work in a mission mode to meet the targets and achieve results.”