Date of Post: 27 Oct, 2018
Kolkata: Indian Railways has got the first engine with aerodynamic and ergonomic design produced by state-owned locomotive manufacturer CLW (Chittaranjan Locomotive Works). The engines will be used for haul of trains like Rajdhani Express, Gatiman Express, and Shatabdi Express to maximise the speed upto 200 kmph.
- The first aerodynamically designed 3-phase WAP-5 electric locomotive will help reduce air drag at a higher speed for more energy efficiency and dynamically stable during high-speed operation.
- “CLW today produced 1st Engine with aerodynamic and ergonomic design and 200 kmph speed potential. This WAP-5 loco is energy efficient and stable for high-speed operation. It will be utilised to haul the prestigious trains like Rajdhani Express, Gatiman Express and Shatabdi Expres,” the Railway Ministry in a tweet said.
- The engines are also equipped with the latest IGBT-based propulsion system, while the driver’s desk has been ergonomically re-modified for improving the maneuvering skills for the loco pilots.
- The locomotives have been stored with CVVRS (Crew Voice and Video Recording System) for onboard driving date recording and analysis.
- Also, cameras with microphones will be installed at the positions both inside and outside the locomotives to record the voice and audio signals for post-event analysis with data storing facilities.
To know more about recent developments of Chennai Metro-
Narinder Sharma is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and marketing executive.
His interest is in the Railways , Metro and Transportation Sector of India .
Please reach us at email@example.com for more information .