Date of Post: 15 Nov, 2018
Railways will export the first state-of-the-art modern DEMU (Diesel Electric Multiple Units) train rake to Sri Lanka in a week, railway officials said. The newly built DEMU rakes would be sent to Sri Lanka as soon as the cargo ship is available to transport the new rakes, a senior Railway Ministry official said.
- The new rake of the DEMU was handed over on November 12 to the RITES, an Indian Railways’ public sector enterprise.
- There are 3 different types of coaches – AC Executive Class, 2nd and 3rd Class – and, as per the Sri Lankan requirement, they will only have seating facility, according to officials from Integral Coach Factory (ICF), Chennai.
- The first rake is part of an export order of 6 rakes of DEMU to Sri Lanka.
- As part of the order, ICF will manufacture 6 DEMU rakes consisting of 78 coaches in 5 variants.
- The order is being jointly executed by RITES and ICF under the India-Sri Lanka economic cooperation agreement.
- The rest of the 5 rakes would be delivered by November 2019, the ICF official said.
- He said,”The DEMU rake is powered by a 1,800 HP onboard engine and has a newly-designed stainless steel aerodynamic front end to reduce drag at high speeds.”
- The ICF official said that the design of the coaches was finalised as per the customer’s choice and ICF has fully geared up to meet the export order in time.
- Since Sri Lanka has large portions of rail lines along coastal areas, rail coaches are prone to corrosion.
- The ICF official said,”To prevent this, the car body along with all interior fittings have been made of authentic stainless steel and special paint has been used on the coaches and under-frame to prevent corrosion.”
- The AC first class coach can accommodate 52 passengers
- The economy car can accommodate 90 passengers
- The Business class coach has a capacity of 64 passengers
- There are many first time features in the new DEMU coaches to make it contemporary and at par with Metro trains.
- The new features include-
- Plush interiors
- GPS-based passenger information system in all coaches
- Halogen-free rubber flooring
- Individually revolving seats
- The individual audio controls for AC class passengers.
Each DEMU rake consists of 13 cars in a combination of-
- 2 driving power cars with economy class seating
- 2 driving trailer cars with economy class seating
- 2 air-conditioned chair cars with rotatable seats
- 2 business class chair cars
- 5 economy class coaches
Image Credit: ICF
To know more about recent developments of Railways –
13 Nov, 2018: Railways to Refurbish 2,000 Old Coaches by 2018-end
Deepak Kumar is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and analyst.
His focus is on new initiatives on the Railway Sector of India.
Please reach us at email@example.com for more information.