Date of Post: 06 Dec, 2018
Keeping with the Indian Railways’ mission of 100% electrification , Diesel Locomotive Works (DLW), Varanasi, has converted a diesel locomotive to run on electric traction, an official said. “Indian Railways has created history by first-ever conversion of a locomotive from diesel to electric traction with almost double the power with indigenous technology under Make in India,” a senior railway official said.
- The new electric locomotive entered into service with Northern Railway on December 3, he said.
- The DLW officials, for the first time in the world, have converted an engine from diesel traction to electric traction, the official claimed.
- The official said that they had planned to discontinue mid-life rehabilitation of diesel locomotives and convert them to electric traction and gainfully utilise them for their maximum service life.
- He said,”Midlife rehabilitation of diesel locomotives costs around Rs 5 to 6 crore beyond 18 years. But only 50% of this expenditure has been used for conversion to electric traction.”
- The official added,”A WDG3-class diesel locomotive which was due for a mid-life rehabilitation has been converted to electric and the new indigenous electric locomotive delivers 5,000 horsepower which is 92% more than the 2,600 horsepower of the original version of the locomotive.”
- Work on the ambitious project began on December 22 last year and the refurbished locomotive was dispatched on February 28 2018, he pointed out.
- It took only 69 days from “concept to execution of the conversion of the diesel locomotive to electric”.
- After its mandatory trials, the locomotive was launched from Varanasi to Ludhiana on December 3 and travelled at a maximum permissible speed of 75 kmph.
- The project is a step forward towards saving of traction energy cost which in turn will reduce railways’ fuel bill and also reduce carbon emissions, besides introducing new age technology, the official said.
To know more about recent developments of Railways–
Narinder Sharma is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and marketing executive.
His interest is in the Railways , Metro and Transportation Sector of India .
Please reach us at email@example.com for more information .