Date of Post: 31 Jan,
Indian Railways will have a share of 40% of the total global rail activity and save about USD 64 billion on fuel bills by 2050, a report by a Paris-based inter-governmental organisation said. The report – The Future of Rail Opportunities for energy – released on Wednesday by the International Energy Agency.
- The report said that the annual investment in rail infrastructure will increase to USD 330 billion in 2050 globally, on the basis of projects currently in various stages of construction and planning.
- Rail activity in India is set to grow more than any other country, with passenger movements in India reaching 40% of global activity.
- The biggest part of the increased investment goes to infrastructure for high-speed rails (USD 70 billion) and urban rails (nearly USD 190 billion); the additional costs of the trains are small in comparison.
- The report stated, “As a result of these investments, in 2050 fuel expenditures are reduced by around USD 450 billion, relative to the base scenario. India could save as much as USD 64 billion on fuel expenditures by mid-century.”
- The pace of infrastructure build is fastest in urban rail, the report also stated.
- The length of metro lines under construction or slated for construction over the coming 5 years is twice the length of those built over any 5 year period between 1970-2015.
- The result is unprecedented growth in passenger movements on urban rail, it said.
- It said, global activity in 2050 is 2.7 times higher than present levels.
- “Growth is strongest in India and South-east Asia, which see more than a sevenfold growth in passenger movements on urban rail, albeit from a low baseline,” it said.
- It said,”In the 3 countries with the highest urban rail activity today, activity increases by more than threefold in China, 25% in Japan and 45% in the European Union.”
To know more about recent developments of Railways –
( Please reach us at email@example.com for more information. )