* Rail stations and associated office buildings in India’s Andhra Pradesh state are to host rooftop solar photovoltaic (PV) systems.
* The buildings belong to the Waltair railway division, which has announced plans to install 1 MW of PV.
* The System will be installed through public-private partnerships at its headquarters in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh’s largest city.
* The project is scheduled for completion by the end of July.
* One bidder, Gurgaon-based ReNew Solar Power Private Ltd, has reportedly finalized a 25-years power purchase agreement (PPA) with the rail division.
* “The project developer will be responsible for designing, engineering, procurement, construction, installation, testing and commissioning of the solar panel systems for 25 years after commissioning of the project,” a senior railway official says.
* The solar panels are to be installed atop service buildings, including the Vizag railway station, the DRM Office, Divisional Railway Hospital, Electrical Loco Shed and Diesel Loco Shed.
* Many other railway organizations in India such as North Western Railways, have also installed rooftop solar panels.