Date Of Post: 16 Apr, 2018
Chennai: India has sought China’s assistance to speed up Bangalore-Chennai railway corridor besides redevelopment of Agra and Jhansi railway stations, a senior Indian official said. The proposal was made at the Strategic Economic Dialogue (SED) held in Beijing between the two countries. NITI Aayog Vice Chairman Rajiv Kumar said,”We offered them speeding up of Bangalore-Chennai railway corridor.”
- The SED was held between delegations headed by Kumar and He Lifeng, the chairman of China’s NDRC (National Development & Reform Commission).
- The proposal was made for increasing the speed of the corridor to 150 kmph.
- India previously made a proposal to China for the redevelopment of Agra & Jhansi railway station.
- It was pointed out to the Chinese side that the railway station development plan is a big one involving about 600 of them, Kumar said.
- He said, they can bid for any of them.
- He said, however, there was no discussion in the just concluded SED about the collaboration to build high speed trains by China in India.
- China has been expressing interest to take up high speed train corridors in India and began conducting a feasibility study for New Delhi & Chennai high speed train corridor.
Image Credit: Nikhil B – Wikimedia Commons