Date of Post: 10 July, 2018
Kolkata: Officials of the Nepal and India agreed to an early finalization of an MoU for Preliminary Engineering cum Traffic Survey of the Raxaul-Kathmandu rail line. A team of Indian authorities already conducted the first round of survey to connect the Indian rail with Kathmandu.
- The official statement said,”The Nepali side conveyed its deep appreciation for the Indian government support in the development of the India-Nepal Cross Border Rail Links, which would enhance people-to-people linkage and promote economic growth and development in the region.”
- “The Indian side too expressed its appreciation for Nepal’s commitment to expeditiously resolve all the outstanding issues including making available remaining land required for completion of the ongoing rail link projects.”
- Also, both sides agreed to put concerted efforts in resolving all the issues expeditiously for completion of the rail lines from Jayanagar to Janakpur-Kurtha and from Jogbani to Biratnagar Customs Yard by the October 2018 timeline.
- Apart from Raxual-Kathmandu rail line, India has already started building 5 cross-border railway lines while another rail line – Jayanagar to Janakpur-Kurtha is about to complete within a year.
- According to the statement, the officials also agreed to take forward work in the remaining stretches of the 2 rail projects from Kurtha-Bijalpura-Bardibas and from Biratnagar Customs Yard-Biratnagar sections on priority.
Image credit: Wikipedia