Date Of Post: 14 Nov, 2018
Chennai: The Integral Coach Factory (ICF), Chennai on Monday rolled out first set of Diesel Electric Multiple Units (DEMU) for Sri Lanka. The first rake for the Sri Lanka Railways was handed over to the officials of RITES Limited and will be shipped to the Sri Lanka from the Chennai port.
- ICF has recently bagged an order for export of 6 rakes of Diesel Electric Multiple Units (DEMU) consisting of 78 coaches in 5 variants.
- DEMUs are used for short and medium distance train travel in non-electrified sections.
- RITES And ICF are jointly executing this export order.
- This export order is being executed under an India-Sri Lanka economic cooperation agreement.
- The last order for export of coaches to Sri Lanka for supply of 120 DEMU coaches (20 DEMU rakes in 6 coach formation) was executed in 2010-12.
- According to a release, each DEMU rake consist of 13 cars in a combination of:
- 2 Driving Power Cars with economy class seating (DPC)
- 2 Driving Trailer Cars with economy class seating (DTC)
- 2 Air-conditioned chair cars with rotatable seats
- 2 Business Class Chair Cars (equivalent to 1st class in suburban trains)
- 5 Economy Class coaches (equivalent to 2nd class seating cars in suburban trains)
- Since Sri Lanka have large portions of rail lines along coastal areas, rail coaches are prone to corrosion.
- To prevent this, the car body along with all interior fittings have been made of Austenitic Stainless Steel.
- There are many first time features in these DEMU coaches to make it contemporary and at par with Metro Trains, such as Plush interiors, GPS based PIS/PAS in all coaches, Halogen free rubber flooring etc.
- ICF has exported coaches and coach components to various countries such as Malaysia, Philippines, Taiwan, Vietnam, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Mozambique, Angola, Nigeria, Uganda, etc. since the 1971-72.
All Image Credit: ICF
To know more about recent developments of Railways –
13 Nov, 2018: Railways to Refurbish 2,000 Old Coaches by 2018-end
Deepak Kumar is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and analyst.
His focus is on new initiatives on the Railway Sector of India.
Please reach us at email@example.com for more information.