Date of Post: 12 Dec, 2018
The Integral Coach Factory (ICF), Chennai hopes to make 2 more trainsets in Train 18 design this fiscal and ramp it up to 8 in the next, a top official said. “ICF will try to make 2 more Train 18 trainsets this financial year and up to 8 in the next financial year depending on the allotment from the Railway Board,” Sudhanshu Mani, General Manager, ICF, said.
- The cost of the trainset is set to go down in a gradual manner as the volumes go up.
- The prototype of a Train 18 trainset cost Rs 100 crore.
- Meanwhile, the ICF got the approval of the Railway Board for rolling out 4 more Train 18 trainsets this fiscal.
- The Board made the decision at its meeting held on December 5.
- The ICF will be informed about the needed changes in its production programme, it said.
- The ICF has been asked to make the necessary arrangements for sourcing of material and schedule manufacturing activities to achieve the target.
About ‘Train 18’
- The Train 18 prototype which is currently on trial, is a high-tech, energy efficient, self-propelled train set to replace the Shatabdi Express.
- It has aerodynamically designed driver cabins at both ends for quicker turnaround at destinations.
- Every alternative coach is motorised to ensure even distribution of power and faster acceleration or deceleration, according to the ICF.
- The fully air-conditioned 16-coach train sports an advanced regenerative brake system which saves power.
- There are also emergency talk-back units, through which passengers can talk to the crew in case of emergency.
- CCTVs are provided in all coaches for safe and secure travel.
- Among the features that enhance passenger comfort are-
- Inter-connected fully sealed gangways
- Automatic doors with retractable footsteps
- Onboard Wi-Fi and infotainment
- GPS-based passenger information system
- Modular toilets with bio-vacuum systems
- Rotational seats which can be aligned in the direction of travel (available only in the executive class)
- Roller blinds and diffused LED lighting
- Disabled-friendly toilets
- The train 18 was conceived, designed and developed in about 18 months’ time as against the industry norm of about 4 years, the ICF officials said.
Deepak Kumar is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and analyst .
His focus is on new initiatives on the Railway Sector of India .
Please reach us at email@example.com for more information .