Date Of Post: 26 Apr, 2018
Chennai: Production of the high-speed ‘engine-less’ Train-18 embellished with a host of amenities for passengers is underway and its rollout is expected soon, an Integral Coach Factory official said. Driven by a self propulsion module sans a separate locomotive, the train, capable of running at a speed of 160 kmph, comes with technical features for enhanced quick acceleration.
More About Train-18
- With its swanky interiors & exteriors, fibre glass reinforced plastic nose cone, it resembles European semi-high speed trains.
- The indigenously built train, with a seating capacity of 1128 passengers in 16 coaches/chair cars, comes with super-comfortable seating, automatic doors, vacuum toilets, space for wheel chairs & disabled friendly restrooms.
- The trains come with latest generation bogies for better riding comfort, ICF Deputy Chief Mechanical Engineer Dileep said.
- It has diffused lighting, automatic doors & footsteps besides GPS-based Passenger Information System.
- The train has a wheel mounted brake disc which enables halting the train in a jiffy.
- The official said, At present, two “train sets,” are scheduled to be produced in 2018-19 and the first unit’s roll out is expected by July.
- As regards the proposed Train-20, it is being conceived with aluminium car body with 20 cars, sleeper coaches and its production is on the cards, he said.
- The official added, the first train set is expected to be out by 2020.
Image Credit: ICF