Date of Post : 20 June, 2017
Hyderabad: The Hyderabad Metro Rail Ltd. (HMR) has appointed a multi-disciplinary inter-departmental committee to conduct a thorough study of the places identified by the traffic police & come up with both immediate & long-term remedial measures to improve safety conditions along the Metro Rail corridors in the city.
- The committee consists of
- an independent traffic & transportation expert T. S. Reddy
- HMRL engineers – B. N. Rajeswar & Y. Sayapa Reddy
- GHMC EE (Traffic & Transportation) M. Venkat Reddy
- ACP (Traffic), Hyderabad
- HMRL Additional DCP A.Balakrishna
- On Monday, in a release, HMR MD N.V.S. Reddy asked the committee to interact with the traffic police of Cyberabad & Rachakonda commissionerates and also the Concessionaire for Metro Rail project — L&TMRH — & submit its recommendations within 1 month.
- The panel was constituted after Mr. Reddy held discussions with Police Commissioner M. Mahender Reddy & GHMC Commissioner B. Janardhan Reddy in the wake of the Hyderabad traffic police requesting the HMRL to initiate remedial measures in some “prospective accident-prone” places along the Metro Rail corridors.
- The committee would be looking into several rail-related road safety measures like provision of reflective signages on metro pillars, protective measures in formation of central median below the metro viaduct, provision/non-provision of the central median when the metro viaduct is off the main carriageway and/or in narrow roads, formation of kidney islands, pedestrian refuge areas and others.