Date of Post: 11 Sep, 2017
NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Ambitious project for a High Speed Rail for Mumbai-Ahmedabad section finally picking up pace.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi along with his Japanese counterpart Mr.Shinzo Abe, Prime Minister of Japan will lay the foundation stone for the Mumbai-Ahmedabad High Speed Rail project on September 14 in Ahmedabad.
ADVISOR APPOINTED FOR MUMBAI-AHMEDABAD HIGH SPEED RAIL PROJECT
- Japan Railways has appointed Mr. Sanjeev Sinha as Advisor for the Rs 98000 Crores High Speed Rail project.
- Sanjeev Sinha, hailing from Barmer Rajasthan in relative proximity to Ahmedabad and a graduate of IIT Kanpur, is a prominent Indian resident of Japan for 21 years.
- The project largely funded by low cost financing from Japan is planned to be built based on Japanese technology as well.
- “With an interest rate of negligible 0.1 percent over an exceptionally long 50 years term and a no-repayment moratorium for first 15 years, the funding from Japan for the High Speed Rail, called Shinkansen in Japan, is almost like a grant based on standard financial valuation calculations”, said Sinha formerly with Goldman Sachs, Mizuho Securities, UBS Investment Bank and as Chief Country Representative in Japan for Tata Asset Management and Tata Realty and Infrastructure, a private equity fund.
- Sinha further added that given the safety issues of Indian Railways we can learn from Japanese Shinkansen which has a fabulous record of zero fatal accidents in its operations over more than 50 years despite very intricate passenger friendly operations amidst earthquakes, typhoons and a very difficult hilly terrain of Japan.
- Sinha is also setting up an India Japan Technology collaboration Fund as President of Research Institute of Next Generation AI, to support the huge technology collaboration efforts.
‘AMAZING INDIA BUSINESS’, A BOOK BY SANJEEV SINHA
- Sanjeev’s appointment as an Advisor to Japan Railways followed the launch of his third book “Amazing India Business” published in Japanese.
- In the current book, he noted that given the strategic importance of the bilateral relations there are many high-level initiatives by the two governments.
- Sinha emphasized that the Ahmedabad-Mumbai Shinkansen Project is also poised to be such a holistic collaboration model for a large regional-urban development, with huge benefits for the masses.
MORE ABOUT MR. SANJEEV SINHA
- Sinha is from a desert town of Barmer, Rajasthan
- His mother was a government school teacher in a small village
- He was the first from the district to go to IIT (Indian Institute of Technology) Kanpur after his high school.
- After his integrated masters in Physics and working in Indian conglomerate Godrej, Mr. Sinha came to Japan to join GenTech for R&D in Artificial Intelligence in 1996.
- He further built his career in Finance industry acquiring another master degree in Finance.
SINHA BUILT AND HEADED MANY NEW PLATFORMS FOR INDIA-JAPAN COLLABORATION
- He built and headed many new platforms for India Japan collaboration such as
- Founding President IIT Alumni Association Japan
- Founding President TiE Tokyo
- Founding President Sun and Sands Group
- He has worked on various initiatives of infrastructure and financing from Japan to India as a Director at PwC Japan.
- Mr. Sinha is building a holistic collaboration between the two countries as
- President of Research Institute of Next General AI (RingAI.jp) funding Indian AI, Fintech, IoT and High-Tech ICT startups in India-Japan domain
- President of India-Japan Partnership, President of Japan India Finance Research Institute (JIFRI)
- Director of Japan India Global Infrastructure Research Institute (JIGIRI)
- Advisor of Kuni UmiAsset Management and President of Sun and Sands Group