Date of Post: 03 Nov, 2017
Mumbai: A three-tier system will monitor the Mumbai-Ahmedabad bullet train project.
Centre Constituted A 3-Level Monitoring System
- To expedite the Bullet Train project in the country, the Centre on Thursday constituted a three-level monitoring cell which includes Niti Ayog Vice Chairman & the Special Advisor to the Japanese Prime Minister as its members in the first level.
- Also, it established a Master Implementation of High Speed Rail Projects which includes issues like safety cell among others.
- The second monitoring will be executed by its working group cell comprising the National High Speed Rail Corridor, Managing Director & a representative of JICA (Japan International Cooperation Agency), which is funding the Rs 1 lakh crore Mumbai-Ahmedabad Bullet Train project.
- The Third monitoring cell will have the high speed train corridor experts with members from Japan Rail & Indian Railways who will receive a 15 days training at Japan.
A Joint Coordination Committee To Be Formed For Bullet Train Project
- In the review meeting of the Bullet Train corridor held at Rail Bhawan on Thursday, a joint coordination committee for smooth functioning of the project with representative from all the stakeholders including – JICA, Niti Ayog, MHA, External Affairs Ministry, Railway’s Western Zone will be formed, sources said.
- Also, the same committee will have representatives from the Gujarat & Maharashtra Governments to look into the aspects of utilisations, sifting, & land acquisition for the ambitious project languishing for more than a decade.
A Dedicated Framework To Be Prepared
- Further, as part of Master Implementation programme, a dedicated framework for structural & safety for overall high speed corridor including the Bullet Train is to be prepared.
- Railway Board chairman Ashwani Lohani will review the overall progress every three months or even earlier.
- The government decided to advance the deadline of the rollout of the 508km long bullet train corridor to August 2022 to coincide with 75 years of Independence.
High Ridership Estimated
- The Railways estimates a high ridership for the train.
- It has calculated that 40,000 passengers will shift from other modes of transport like – Trains, Buses, Airlines & Personal Vehicles.