Date of Post: 13 July, 2017
Agra: The groundwork for the Metro Rail project in the City may finally begin. On Tuesday, while presenting its maiden Budget, the Yogi Adityanath-led BJP government said a budgetary provision of Rs 10 lakh has been made, as initial funding, for development of the proposed metro rail system in the city.
The fund will help in preparing the groundwork for implementation of the project, according to Agra Development Authority (ADA) officials.
- The metro development project has been in the pipeline for the past few years.
- In 2016, ADA got a Detailed Project Report (DPR) on rail-based mass rapid transit system for Agra was prepared by the RITES (Rail India Technical & Engineering Services).
- The new government checked the status of the metro rail project & asked officers concerned to proceed with it without further delay.
- Earlier this year, after incorporating some changes in the DPR, it was presented before high-level state authorities.
- Following this, the requirement of funds to initiate metro rail related development work has been addressed in the annual budget 2017-18.
- As per the DPR, the development of the first metro corridor will be completed by June 2022.
- “We were expecting more funds in the budget for the metro rail project but the state government has approved only Rs 10 crore, with which we can just prepare the groundwork to initiate the project. However, it is a positive step for the future of the project,” a senior ADA official said.
The metro rail project in Agra is divided into 2 corridors :
- From Sikandra to Fatehabad road
- Length : 13-km long
Some Major stations on 1st Corridor :
- Taj Mahal East gate
- Agra Fort
- Jama Masjid
- Heeng Ki Mandi
- Raja Mandi
- Guru Ka Taal
- From Agra Cantt to Kalindi Vihar
- Length : 16 km long
Major Metro Stations on 2nd Corridor :
- Sadar Bazaar
- St John’s Crossing
- Subhas Park Kamla Nagar