Date of Post : 26 July, 2017
Puducherry: The territorial administration had begun identifying ways to materialise one of its key components – mass transportation.
Representatives from a Delhi-based firm having a tie-up with a China-based auto major, on Tuesday held discussions with Chief Minister V. Narayanasamy, Minister for Local Administration Department A. Namassivayam & senior officials on introducing monorail in the town.
- During their presentation, the representatives listed the advantages the monorail had over other mode of transports including the tram & the metro rail.
- After the presentation, the government had asked the representatives to prepare a feasibility report, Namassivayam said.
- The Minister, on the setting up of a Special Purpose Vehicle, said the government had initiated the process and it would be constituted at the earliest.
- The Chief Secretary & other secretaries would form part of the SPV, the Minister said.
- The respective governments had to constitute a SPV for implementing the project from planning to execution, as per the guidelines issued by the Union Ministry of Urban Affairs.
- The entity, which had to be registered under the Companies Act, would plan, apprise, approve, release funds & evaluate the Smart City projects.
- Namassivayam added,“We have expedited the process to constitute SPV so that works could commence at the earliest.”