Date of Post: 27 Nov, 2017
Chennai: Initial work for the Metro Phase-II project of Chennai Metro covering 107 km of the city is likely to start early next year.
The first stretch of the Metro Phase II project may be operational in around eight years from now, CMRL Managing Director Pankaj Kumar Bansal said, while speaking at a session on ‘Can the Metro Rail transform Chennai?’ organised by the Chennai International Centre.
- He said,“This project will be taken up in phases. We will first get loans for about 50% of the project since the entire cost runs up to nearly Rs 80,000 crore. The loan will be acquired in phases.”
- At present, three stretches are operational in Phase-I of Chennai Metro Rail.
The Three Stretches Are-
- Koyambedu to Chennai airport
- Little Mount to Chennai airport
- Thirumangalam to Nehru Park
By March next year, the stretch from Nehru Park will be extended up to Central and also another stretch from Saidapet to AG-DMS too will be made operational,” he added.